Carbon Mobile: Status Update

Hello, Carbonizers and Community,

There is no easy way to justify the delays and lack of updates.

We’ve been going through tough times since the end of last year. And we are in the recovery process still.
I can summarize it as follow, we have have our Series A investment with a lead investor last year in August, and things were great for the future of Carbon Mobile’s team, technology, product and vision. This lead investor kept delaying us for days and weeks until November, in the team time the investor was aligned to have a product in 2022 and pushed us to expand our team and increase our expenses to deliver on time (Carbon 1 MK III). In November, we had to decrease operations and slow our runway to be able to find an alternative solution.
Since December we are have been working on saving the company and it’s going well, but not done yet.
Unfortunately, the Android 11 audio issue happened in parallel to the above, and we are also trying to resolve it with our partners quickly.

I am very optimistic about the future of Carbon Mobile and finding a solution soon.
We will have a more detailed update the soonest.

With love to all of you @CarbonizerFounder.
Best,
Firas.

7 Likes

Don’t get broke, boyz! :+1:

1 Like

That explains a bit why there was no detailed information over the last months, although it would’ve been nice to be updated earlier. Hopefully disappointed customers will have understanding for that. Thanks for letting us know about your difficult situation and all the best for your recovery process, because a lot of lost trust needs to be regained. Looking forward to more details about the future of carbon mobile, updates and improvements.

2 Likes

Oh no, did the lead investor back out?
Thanks for the update Firas.

2 Likes

I hope that this phone will finally disappear from the market so that more buyers don’t fall for it !

Ich hoffe, das dieses Telefon zügig vom Markt verschwindet und nicht noch mehr Käufer darauf herein fallen. Das Ding taugt nicht mal mehr als Rentnerhandy. Absoluter Müll ! Aber mit Hochglanzwerbung und verblendeten Erstkäufern kann man wahrscheinlich alles verkaufen. Der Support ist absolut unfähig und ahnungslos. Nur primitive Antworten am Problem vorbei. Ich bin sowas von enttäuscht von diesem Schrott. Man braucht sich nur die Online Bewertungen überall durch zu lesen. Für mich ist das pure Abzocke am Kunden ! :-1: :-1: :-1:

Thank you Firas, for the Update, but
it would be also great if anybody of the Carbon Team is starting to read the Messages. I wrote on Feb 15th to you Firas and also to Jascha. 6 days ago i was trying to reach Jamie, in both cases i got no response…

1 Like

Thank you very much for the update, Firas.
I still like this phone very much and hope that everything will develop for the better.
I wish you good success.

2 Likes

:+1::joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Your real unhappiness may be found in which thing/person?

Don’t tell us that you didn’t know what you were getting into when you made your investment decision, there is absolutely no difference to other things that were created with purpose for longer periods of use.
With every important purchase, information is prepared in advance - in one way or another. There are always basic principles, points of view and personal motives behind it.

If you don’t like CARBON in this way (and with the philosophy behind it)… - well, that’s your personal feeling, then have the courage to say goodbye to CARBON and choose another device that is to your liking and hopefully makes you happier and more satisfied than CARBON ever can.

Deine eigentliche Unzufriedenheit liegt in welcher Sache/Person?
Erzähle uns nicht, dass Du bei Deiner Kauf-Entscheidung nicht gewusst hast, worauf Du Dich einlässt, es besteht absolut kein Unterschied zu anderen Dingen, die mit Sinn + Zweck für längere Nutzungszeiträume geschaffen wurden. Meisten werden bei jeder größeren Anschaffung Vorab-Informationen gesammelt – in welcher Art auch immer. Es stehen gewisse Prinzipien, Standpunkte und persönliche Beweggründe dahinter

Wenn Du das CARBON in der Art (und mit der dahinterstehenden Philosophie) nicht magst… - gut, das ist Dein persönliches empfinden, dann sei so mutig und sage CARBON ade und wähle ein anderes Gerät, was zu Dir passt und Dich hoffentlich glücklicher und zufriedener macht, als CARBON es je kann.

2 Likes

The community wants to share, no matter how unpleasant things are (like worries and problems). We are overjoyed about the sign of life - next time sooner, please. We’re all holding on - hopefully you are too.

2 Likes

That “problem” should’ve been taken care of before you go into production.To me it sounds like yet more excuses for the shortcomings of your product.I got the phone and although I like the concept and the philosophy behind the phone I’m disappointed in the performance.Any cell at the cheaper end of the spectrum does better.I’m not gonna elaborate as I don’t see why and I’m not gonna invest time and energy on this,but lemme say this…I paid a hell of a lot of money +U.K import tax of more than 100 GBP for a phone which sits in a box in a cupboard and hasn’t been used in months.Sorry guys but that’s the truth…it’s worth perhaps 15-20% of your asking price and the way this is going it will be for sale online for around 150 Euro soon…You wanna be “niche”…or you wanna compete with the big boys?
“Niche” is cute but you’ll have to close shop…competing with the likes of Samsung and apple?
I don’t think so…as you can’t even seem to get distribution right…very disappointing!

Hi all,
does anybody of aou having contact to the CarbonTeam? I have Display-Problems again with my Carbon. I announced this already by February 15th, got no response. I sent 2 reminders within the following weeks, no response.
27 days ago, i got an answer from Jascha (Carbonizer Team), meanwhile the display is not only getting loose, it stays dark:

"Hello Klaus,

Sorry for being late with the replies. I think it is safe to say that you will need to send it in for repair, so please already make a backup of your data. You will receive the link for our repair center shortly and should afterwards a shipping label to send it in for free."

i did not receive any Link or any Label! I asked for it again 2 times. No response.
Jascha marked his answer as solution/yes…

My Question is, is Carbon still alive?

1 Like

@firascarbonizer , @jaschacarbonizer

Unfortunately, I have to admit that this is a valid question.

Für diejenigen die immer noch nicht aufgewacht sind, zitiere ich hier mal eine aktuelle Amazon Bewertung:

" Hallo Zusammen,
ich hatte mir das Handy im Nov. 2020 gekauft und war super zufrieden. Kleinere Abzüge bei Camera oder dem Akku habe ich in Kauf genommen, weil das Handy eine absolute Rarität ist. Verarbeitung war auch ok. Auch die Kommunikation des Unternehmens zu den Käufern war top!

1 Jahr später (Nov 2021):
Mit dem update auf Android 11 kam der knock-out für das Telefon. Whats app konnte nicht mehr verwendet werden (nur durch manuellen Eingriff in die interne Ordnerstruktur des handys). Telefonieren war nicht mehr möglich. W-LAN stürzte 1-2xpro Minute ab.
Reaktion des Kundencentern??? KEINE. Trotz massiver Beschwerden der Kunden, gab es keinen Support und ein knapp 800€ teures Handy konnte nach einem Jahr quasi auf den Müll geparkt werden.

Heute (Juni 2022)
Nun löst sich auch noch das Display. Das Carbon-Chassi ist im Bereich des unverstärkten Kunststoffes gebrochen. Material platzt ab. Zwischendurch wurde noch ein Aufruf gemacht, dass Kunden Geld “spenden” sollten für neue Entwicklungen. Dafür könnten Sie später ein günstigeres Telefon erhalten (ich weiß…klingt schon komisch!). Wahrscheinlichist da schon der Hauptinvestor abgesprungen.

Der Kundendienst meldet sich ca. 1x im Quartal, trotz mehrfachen Mahnens und vetröstet, bis die Garantie wahrscheinlich abgelaufen ist.

Interessant:
Hab heute die Firma in Berlin besucht, da ich nun einen Anwalt einschalte. Problem war…es gibt die Firma unter der Adresse gar nicht. Eine freundliche Mitarbeiterin auf dem Start-Up-Campus der Telekom meinte, dass hier nur noch regelmäßig Insolvenzverwalter und Rechtanwälte vorbeischauen, aber keine Mitarbeiter oder Besitzer. Herr Firas Khalifeh, leider sind Sie aus meiner Sicht ein Verbrecher! "
Zitat Ende.

Alles Klar?
Mehr Worte bedarf es nicht mehr. Oder?

Thanks for finding and sharing this. That’s a pretty clear picture. It’s also criminal for a private company to ask their customers for donations when they know that everything is crashing down. Crazy stuff.

Zum Post von Alex:

Ich habe gestern im Amtsgericht in Charlottenburg angerufen und mich nach einer Insolvenz von Carbon Mobile erkundigt, dort wusste niemand etwas von einem Insolvenzverfahren Carbon Mobile betreffend.
Um diese Aussage nochmals zu verifizieren, habe ich auf der Webseite für Insolvenzbekanntmachungen nachgesehen. Auch dort kein Treffer bezüglich Carbon Mobile.

Das lässt mich hoffen, dass ich eins meiner Carbon´s (meine Founder Edition) doch noch repariert kriege.

Bezüglich der Amazon Bewertung habe ich zwei Theorien, die erste ist, dass der Amazon Kunde enttäuscht war, sich einiges zusammen reimte und noch viel mehr hinein interpretierte.
Das kann aber fast nicht sein, weil ja alle Bewertungen bei Amazon immer der Wahrheit entsprechen :slight_smile:
Also Theorie 2 : Amazon wickelt nun auch Insolvenzverfahren in Deutschland ab, aufgrund der Menge von Rücksendungen und nicht angenommener Pakete war es Amazon bisher jedoch nicht möglich die Insolvenzmeldung an die Gerichte zu übermitteln :slight_smile:

Ob insolvent oder nicht, ein Grund mehr für mich heute ein weiteres Carbon bestellt zu haben, meine laufen mit Android 10 wunderbar und mehr brauche ich gar nicht, bin da eher oldschool und mache nicht alles Neue mit.

Allen Carbonizern (ob zufrieden oder nicht) und dem Team einen schönen Tag

4 Likes

Well, my hopes that the carbon team has any interest on any of this, are gone. Mr. Firas has last visited this forum on April and the other comms guy on Feb, so we are basically talking to ourselves here. I can’t even sell my carbon for parts, as none of it works. Shame!

@Klaus
Ich denke zufrieden kann man kaum sein. Aber ich gebe Dir Recht, es ist nichts verloren, es ist eine schöne Idee und es gibt noch viel Potential. Wenn man die geopolitische Wirtschaftftslage betrachtet, war der Markteintritt eigentlich nicht möglich. Selbst die ganz grossen Player hatten Probleme. Sie haben es dennnoch geschafft. Wenn’s Leute braucht, gerade jetzt, sind es solche! Ich denke sie kommen wieder, Firas glaubt an seine Idee, wenn sie es erst in '24 schaffen, dann ist es so, ich werde dabei sein.

2 Likes

Seems like carbon is going to continue developing products as the website has been updated: