Carbon 1 MK II - Software, Hardware, Discuss

@vtracy
You’re right, I had a phone five or six years ago that wireless could charge. I found it very convenient, too.
Other than you, however, I see it more as an additional option, since if there were no other charging option, you would always have to carry the charging pad with you if you were outside your usual environment.

I have an iPhone Xs now, and am enjoying the charging stand.
What I am saying/seeing is that a smartphone is a convenience product, and has to ve designed for that purpose in every aspekt. And (among others) schlepping a cable and plug around in my home is not „convenient“.
Wouldn‘t it be wonderful if every hotel (for example) had a wireless charger built-in in their night stands?! Standardized for all phones, of course.
(Ahh, to be dreaming!)
Volker

3 Likes

@vtracy
Yes it really would :smiley: In some cars it is.

1 Like

Hello

Wireless charging is definately amazing feature to have… used it one of my Nokia about 5-6 years back… very convenient…
@vtracy as much as a fan I am of sc-fi and technology… do you think it is safe to have implants? interms of security and monitoring… Rate at which cyber crimes and hacking is increasing it sounds and looks very unsafe to me… No doubt that’s d future.

Dual Sim with expandable memory is amazing solution to most variety users… and 256GB is sufficient for a smart phone i think… 256+512 GB can’t ask for more…

@Tejas, I was joking, of course. I would not want to have gadgets in my head that could malfunction…
I could envisage, however, a device like a hearing aid that contains all the features a phone has (without the screen); commands via whispered voice and/or bone transmission. The devices would have to be much easier to handle that today‘s devices. Then, one could carry the device in the pocket (or permanently in-ear); when a call comes in, the user can grab it, put it in the ear and communicate. Emails would be spoken, new outgoing emails could be spoken, would be transferred to text by device (or central computer); recipient then has the option of receiving it as text msg on his computer screen or as spoken msg over the in-ear phone…
That is so ething that I can envisage for the near future. What say you?
Volker

@vtracy Thank u…
Appology for late reply…
Thank God u were joking… bitter truth is that I come across ppl who are serious about this whole idea of implants… yes agreed with its convenience and stuff… but it’s still not happening… as u said what if it malfunctions… or just explodes…
Yes I agree with ur idea and thought… some small device by ur ear which responds to voice commands… very practice and makes sense… I like whole idea of it being a ear piece… very convenient and less distraction… great thought.
As we are discussing… one of Indian telecom giant has come up with 3D glasses… I’ll share link please look into it…
I personally don’t like jio or neither do I trust them… but this idea without having to physically connect to phone is nice… also very practice… but inclined towards business application… https://youtu.be/MOKrODAilYQ

Cheers

Tejas, I just watched the video clip about Jio glasses. (BTW. I have a flight simulator with VR glasses Oculus Rift S, so I am „biased“).
As a wearer of glasses for everyday use, I always think of glasses a a basis for further aids etc.:grin:. For us wearers if glasses, there are obviously a number if possibilities (like the video shows), for example, we can decide if we want to accept a call with or without video. We can stream text- based and other applications on the glass (emails, maps, even videos). And the glasses will become less cumbersome because the electronic circuitry will be printed in the glass.
But what about. those poor people who do not wear glasses because they have perfect vision?:wink: They, i think, will wait for an iPad that can be folded; they can carry it in their pocket (which I cannot now with my iPad Air) and open it to A4 size. For tablets, the convenience aspect comes in as well: lightweight, thin, „carryable“, easy to handle,…

2 Likes

Hello Volker,
wow! VR dedicated only for flight simulator? sounds fun… I recently got a VR for gaming with my laptop… not tried flight simulator yet… mostly use it for arcade and racing games…:slight_smile:
Bout these glasses… they are mostly application based… like mentioned in video for business meets it may b educational purposes… not a complete replacement to phone… was only referring to example to our discussion… after a deep thought an eye wear can’t b complete replacement to phones… and a war piece makes more practice sense…
Now coming to glass wearers ie power glasses… which I did not consider till u mentioned… it’s a different world all together… I have a doubt now how does VR work for glass wearers…?
Jio glass looks complicated in video… also to imagine… I think it’s best tried…

Hello,
My case here is a little different, When it comes to wearing glasses… I got my eyes checked in school once and found out I had power… but always refuse wear glasses I I was not very comfortable… later once in university got checked again and was forced to wear glasses as I had constant headaches… but was not very comfortable specially while driving… so I completely stopped using…
lenses out of question… no alien foriegn body eben close to me… now u know y against implants…:slight_smile: have issues reading boards and mostly scores watching football or cricket… But no issues watching F1:) Otherwise all fine… sometime recognising faces Also… only kidding…:slight_smile:

Tejas, I mentioned flight simulation here because it is a good example of what glasses can do. VR glasses are not „glasses“ T all, because you cannot see through; they are LCD screens onto which two pics are projected in such a way that the human eyes see in 3D. That is, even to a hardcore flight simmer like me, a completely new experience. Before, I sat in front of a cockpit with 3 LCDs over 1; where the 3 LCDs show the wide angle view out of the cockpit windows and the 4th LCD shows the dials and buttons, knobs etc.
I thought that was the ultimate in simulated field of view.
Then I bought a VR headset 2. hand; I wanted to find out how little a difference it would be compared to my setup…:sweat_smile: When I put it on and sat down in an aircraft… I was flabbergasted! It is real 3D. One is sitting in the aircraft, not outside looking in… Try it! Gaming is good in VR but flying is a whole. new experience (I think).
Then there are AR glasses that are see-through. They can present computer generated pictures and layer them over the view of the real world. That means one sees both. Ideal for working on complex machines where one has to be guided what to do where and how.
They, of course, can also be used as a medium for communication while looking at the world. One would have to experiment how much info (in graphical form) one can absorb while still being able to wee the worlf (and not stumble😬).
My guess and my request would be to improve the audio interface as much as possible because much can be transmitted back and forth by sound, if the speech interface is highly intelligent (that is, much more than today‘s speech input/output).
Volker

Hello Volker
Thank you for time and good explanation… Really appreciate…
Glad u brought the topic of VR have been doing some reading… my knowledge is not up mark with them… landed up buying one to pass time during lockdown… and a store near by out of business was giving away at throw away price…
Jio glasses seem to me as VR Glasses… and not really a replacement to phones… good solution for lockdown… virtual office and class room types… Yes AR glasses might do the magic if replacing phones… but again at high risk factor… (Mission Impossible Style) AR is something I definately want to own… there are a few products online…
I totally agree with your thought on audio interface… with a good intelligent one communication would be much easier and faster…

Thank You.

As we are discussing I guess ONE PLUS has launched Phone with AR…

1 Like

Yes, I guess the Oneplus Nord should be the one. They launch it on 21st july

Hello Stephan… Yes it is the one plus Nord… and u got it rit on d launch date… looks like a world wide launch… they have a big market here in India…
But current situation don’t seem to support… Not a big fan though…

1 Like

And politically… I’m not a big fan of mobile technic made in China.
I do not trust them!

Hey there,
the AR launch of the new Oneplus Nord was technically… so poor and really bad.

But the Nord looks like a new benchmark in his priceclass… on my opinion a nice smartphone with huge cameras and processors.

1 Like

I think indeed it’s a powerful phone…there is no doubt when you are in the top 3 world-wide, you can control supply chain and pressure down the pricing on your suppliers.
I guess you know what I am talking about :wink:

1 Like

Yes Firas, thank you, I understand. I’m also critical about chinese mobiletechnics… We don’t know really nothing about data safety on these smartphones.
One big point on all my former smartphone… was always the camera. I hope the Carbon will shoot great pics.

I have had a few Chinese mobile devices and almost all of them have been exemplary. I did have a poor experience with a Leagoo 'phone that had some adware loaded on it, but I’m fairly certain that was included in a custom ROM installed by the seller who “kindly” offered to add the Google Apps before dispatch. Apart from that I’ve had a Smartisan U2 Nut Pro which was imported directly from China as I really liked the looks of it. An Oppo R5 pre-ordered from launch as I liked the slimness of it. A Huawei Ascend P6 pre-ordered from launch as I liked the slimness of it. I also have a Cube T8 tablet (which doubles as a 'phone) imported from China, which again has been excellent. While I wait for the Carbon to arrive, I’m back using the Smartisan as I sold my Samsung S10e to partly fund the cost of the Carbon. The Smartisan is great. It still gets OTA updates and is now about 4 years old.

So I would say that my experience has been that even “no brand” Chinese devices can be excellent devices, if some of those selling them might be less trustworthy.

Huawei make some wonderful devices. Most of the criticism aimed at them is political and not altogether accurate. Similar so called “backdoors” were found in D-Link, Cisco and Sony devices as well as Huawei.

Partial quotes from TechRepublic: (https://www.techrepublic.com/article/evidence-of-backdoors-in-huawei-equipment-collapse-under-light-scrutiny/)

Huawei stands accused of implanting “hidden backdoors” into commercial telecom equipment and home internet routers sold to Vodafone Italia in 2009, according to a Bloomberg report published Tuesday. Naturally, Huawei is denying the accusations, while Vodafone told the BBC that “Bloomberg is incorrect in saying that this ‘could have given Huawei unauthorised access to the carrier’s fixed-line network in Italy’.”

• In May 2018, Kaspersky Lab found that D-Link DIR-620 wireless routers have an exposed Telnet interface with hardcoded credentials, which D-Link refused to patch.
  • Also in May 2018, a Brazilian ISP deployed nearly 5,000 routers without a Telnet password at all.
  • In March 2017, 318 different models of Cisco switches contained a vulnerability in Cluster Management Protocol, allowing outside users to gain Telnet access. This vulnerability was disclosed publicly as part of Wikileaks “Vault 7,” a collection of documents from the CIA.
  • In December 2016, a vulnerability in “as many as 80 models” of Sony’s IPELA cameras allow attackers to enable Telnet or SSH services. The cameras were shipped with hardcoded credentials, and researchers noted that “The cameras aren’t designed to receive software updates so the zero-day exploits can’t be patched.”
  • In September 2015, the SYNful Knock vulnerability gave attackers Telnet access to Cisco routers, if the administrator password was discovered or a default password was used.
1 Like

Agree with ur thought stephan on Chinese phones… good point about data safety… I sometimes feel that their core moto is even selling phones… only joking… let’s not get there…
Good to know u already got experience on NORD… they have been competitive rit from day one… am happy their AR is not up to mark…:slight_smile:
Thank u…

1 Like