Carbon 1 MK II - Software, Hardware, Discuss

Software or tech questions?
Ideas you want to include for the MK II and beyond?
Let’s have them here!

@vtracy Original Post

How about the Operating System?

• which?
  • if Android, pure or with a proprietary UID? i. e. who is responsible?
  • updates: how often? how long in the life of the hardware?
    We all know that is was basically the software (UID, quality, ease of use,…) that differentiated the first iPhone from its earlier competitors, and made it a success(I owned all the then-famous PDAs and smartphones).

Would like to see wireless charging if that is possible using the materials.

1 Like

Yes, put away all the cables ‚n stuff! BTW, a charging stand would be another sales item: nice design, functionality, good place to „leave“ the phone while not in use.
Volker

Hi @vtracy
Well, w are using Android 10. And we will be upgrading to Android 11 by Q4 or Q1 2021.

We are responsible for operating system, including all updates.
It’s a pure Android with few customizations.

Meaning, you will receive updates as soon as Android send a new update/security patch.
Usually, there will be an update at least quarterly, and we will support Android 10, Android 11, and most likely Android 12.
And security and features updates will stay for Carbon 1 Mark II for at least 2020/2021/2022 and most likely 2023, we can’t promise for 2024 though!.

2 Likes

@Mo4395
It’s extremely hard to deal with any type of antenna signal using Carbon fiber.
Unfortunetly, Carbon 1 Mark II won’t wireless charging.
We are working on a big R&D project with the Gov and research centers to unlock the potential of Carbon Fiber for 5G and wireless charging and few other features (like foldable devices :wink:)

Indeed,

It’s a great idea.
The moment we ship Carbon 1 to you and all other Carbonizers.
We will start working on more accessories and the system around Carbon 1.

1 Like

#firescarbon,
Tx for the info about the OS!
Negative examples have made me bring this subject up. I am glad to read that it will be a long term project.
Volker

1 Like

I relate to the same pain!
Blotted OS and hardly to see an update like from Samsung etc… is really not what the user is looking for.
We are definitely addressing it.

1 Like

To me, that is a question of product quality and(!) of company vision & mission.
I believe that hardware (and/or gimmicks)is not as important as it was when iPhone came out.
Smartphone as a commodity will become mire determining. For example, size(foldable), weight, form will become more important. I doubt that there will be a „killer feature“ any more in the market. Every smartphone will have a camera for quick shots, screen easy to read, connectivity across the board, …
It wil be easy handling etc. that will become more & more important.

1 Like

I have a question regarding the SIM / SD support. Can you give more details regarding the SD card specifications? Is there also a plan to add eSIM’s in the future?

So we support dual-Sim or Sim + Micro SD card.
We didn’t try 512GB, but with 256GB, it works well.

We might be able to support eSIM in the future.
This one be available this year though.

1 Like

Thank you @firascarbonizer for the fast answer. I’ll go for the SIM + Micro SD variant. I will give also higher capacity versions of the SD’s a try.

1 Like

Sounds good and like the idea of a foldable i.e. smaller device!

1 Like

@Uwe
We actually offer both 2 SIM or 1 SIM + SD Card at the same time.
see the picture below:

6 Likes

Very cool design! Much more convenient than having a separate SD compound. Perfect!

1 Like

Looks fantastic and just simple :+1:t3:

1 Like

Hmm. Why not eSIM? Plus much internal RAM. That makes the device waterproof(for example). Wireless charging. Bluetooth headphones.
= no holes in the body at all.
Volker

1 Like

May be wireless charging is a problem with carboncase.

2 Likes

Achim,
as you indicated, one can imagine all possible things. But is it practicable in the foreseeable future, that is the question. As a science fiction fan, I can dream about implanted devices as much as I want. But reality they will become never or at least very, very late. I understand this forum to be a place for suggestions to be realised in the coming say, 5 years.
As for the wireless charging, I understood from the development notes here, that there is a problem. However, I remember that the iPhone had a problem with GSM reception when the metal band around the body was introduced. It was solved in the next version. Ergo, if a problem is recognized and sufficiently well known, it will be solved. That is why I included wireless charging in my wishlist. Don‘t forget, iPhone and others will have that feature in the coming versions (according to reports on the iPhone 12). It is not a frill, something „nice to have“; I believe that it makes life with the ‚phone easier.
Volker