September Production Update

Hello all

Apologies for the delay on this.
It has been an incredibly busy month since we last spoke and we have been waiting to get clarity on testing updates before sharing with you.

Here is a full update from Firas with the key questions answered. Highlights below in English and German.

Highlights From The September Update.

The last month has been yet another mix of technological progress and development challenges. Here are some of the key updates you need to know.

1. Investment: Despite a challenging environment for investment given the Covid-19 situation, we have been able to ensure the required funds to move forward. This will fund DVT#2 testing and enable to the production of Founder and Carbonizer editions and our marketing budget to boost our brand.

2. New Look Carbon 1 MK 2: To be consistent with our design principles and hero the innovation in revised HyRECM Technology, the silver line has been removed from the top and bottom of the device. We appreciate all the feedback from the community, it really helped us make the decision.

3. DVT #1.5 Completed: As expected, a test of 20 devices to explore software and hardware integration highlighted some challenges to resolve before going into production. We experienced the usual solvable issues with software integration and cosmetic consistency. However, at this stage, an antenna grounding problem with the HyRECM Technology came to light which needed significant time and resources to resolve and carried over into DVT#2 testing.

4. DVT #2 Started: A further 80 devices are now in development and being tested ahead of production of Founder devices. As of 23rd September the antenna issue has been resolved and we now testing again on a larger scale. We are now focused on final testing of all software and hardware integration consistencies and incorporating exciting camera updates from our tuning partners in Finland.

5. Founder Edition: Once the DVT#2 testing is approved by our engineers after assembly we will be able to kick off production for the Founder devices.

6. Delays and Delivery: As well as the time-consuming antenna challenge, we have experienced delays in part delivery which has held back production. This has now been resolved for DVT#2 devices however some parts of Founder and Carbonizer editions are expected 15th October. As a result of these delays, we now expect to deliver as follows:

• Founder Editions: Mid Nov
  • Carbonizer Editions: Mid Dec

We are very sorry to announce yet another delay. The development is moving forward, we are seeing great progress all the time but the project continues to throw challenges at us as we create the world’s first carbon fiber smartphone.

------------------ DEUTSCHE----------------------------

Das Wichtigste aus dem September-Update.

Der letzte Monat war eine weitere Mischung aus technologischem Fortschritt und Entwicklungsherausforderungen. Hier sind einige der wichtigsten Updates, von denen Ihr wissen solltet.

1 Investment: Trotz eines herausfordernden Umfeldes für Investitionen angesichts der Covid-19-Situation, ist es uns gelungen, die erforderlichen Mittel zu sichern, um voranzukommen. Dies wird die DVT#2-Tests finanzieren und die Produktion der Founder- und Carbonizer-Editionen ermöglichen, sowie unser Marketingbudget bereitstellen, um unsere Marke zu stärken.

2 New Look Carbon 1 MK 2: Um unseren Designprinzipien gerecht zu werden und die Innovation der überarbeiteten HyRECM-Technologie zu betonen, wurde die silberne Linie von der Ober- und Unterseite des Geräts entfernt. Wir schätzen all das Feedback aus der Community, es hat uns wirklich geholfen, die Entscheidung zu treffen.

3 DVT #1.5 Abgeschlossen: Wie erwartet, hat ein Test von 20 Geräten zur Untersuchung der Software- und Hardware-Integration einige Herausforderungen aufgezeigt, die es zu lösen gilt, bevor wir in Produktion gehen. Wir erlebten die üblichen lösbaren Probleme mit der Softwareintegration und der kosmetischen Konsistenz. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt kam jedoch ein Antennenerdungsproblem mit der HyRECM-Technologie ans Licht, dessen Lösung erhebliche Zeit und Ressourcen erforderte und das in den DVT#2-Test übernommen wurde.

4 DVT #2 begann: Weitere 80 Geräte befinden sich nun in der Entwicklung und werden vor der Produktion der Founder-Geräte getestet. Am 23. September wurde das Antennenproblem gelöst und wir testen nun wieder in größerem Maßstab. Wir konzentrieren uns nun auf die abschließenden Tests aller Software- und Hardware-Integrationskonsistenzen und auf die Integration aufregender Kamera-Updates von unseren Tuning-Partnern in Finnland.

5 Founder Edition: Sobald die DVT#2-Tests von unseren Ingenieuren nach dem Zusammenbau freigegeben sind, können wir mit der Produktion der Founder-Geräte beginnen.

6 Verzögerungen und Lieferung: Neben der zeitaufwändigen Antennenproblematik gab es auch Verzögerungen bei der Teilelieferung, was die Produktion verzögert hat. Dies ist nun für DVT#2-Geräte behoben, jedoch werden einige Teile der Founder- und Carbonizer-Ausgaben am 15. Oktober erwartet. Als Folge dieser Verzögerungen erwarten wir nun folgende Auslieferungen:

• Founder-Ausgaben: Mitte November
  • Carbonizer-Ausgaben: Mitte Dezember

Es tut uns sehr leid, eine weitere Verzögerung anzukündigen. Die Entwicklung schreitet voran, wir sehen die ganze Zeit große Fortschritte, aber das Projekt stellt uns weiterhin vor Herausforderungen, da wir das erste Kohlefaser-Smartphone der Welt erschaffen.

7 Likes

Thank you for this detailed informations👍🏼

3 Likes

very interesting to see the Progress of getting a smartphone from testing ready to be produced. Good luck for the next steps & I hope to receive it this year.

1 Like

Many thanks for the update. I appreciate all the work that has been happening behind the scenes and I would rather wait a few more weeks and have the dream device that I am hoping will be delivered than have a half finished device delivered earlier.

I understand that the delays have been due to a number of issues rather than just one single issue, but I would have liked a little more news from Carbon Mobile than to be repeatedly promised updates that never materialised.

I look forward to seeing my Carbon Mobile in the (hopefully) near future.

Thank you very much for the open communication :+1:

1 Like

Nice to be up to date again, thanks for that.
The antenna problem scared me a little bit, because that’s the linchpin of the project. New and interesting: exciting camera updates from your tuning partners in Finland. More information would be great. Finally, I hope to read on the 15th that the missing parts arrived.
Good luck and happy work.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Totally understand…
I have a bit of experience in R&D, and when it comes to dependence delay is always expected since there are a lot of factors to consider… present scenarios with lockdowns totally expected and accepted…
Have complete faith in U… n U in US:)
wishing team good luck with coming tests… looks like crucial time
Thank u &
Cheers

1 Like

Hi,

war eh klar….

Ist nur mehr eine penliche Geschichte. Aber meine Wette läuft noch ob es vor xmas 2020 kommt….

Liebe GrĂĽĂźe Michael

Welche Plänee habt Ihr, uns „Founders“ einzubinden in den/einen „Massentest“ unmittelbar nach Auslieferung? Vorkehrungen getroffen für

• Einsenden der Geräte
  • schnelle Ă„nderung/Reparatur der beanstandeten Dinge
  • Softwareupdate und -verteilung nach Auslieferung?
    Volker
1 Like

Hi Volker

Great question.
Full details on the Founder’s role and involvement will be coming later this month. We will share this within the Founders area of the forum so please keep an eye out for that.

Specifics about how to deal with any repairs, software updates etc will also be shared in a full briefing just for Founders. The timings of this will be determined once we are 100% confident to move forward from the latest round of DVT2 testing.

Hallo Volker

Tolle Frage.
Alle Details ĂĽber die Rolle und Beteiligung des GrĂĽnders werden im Laufe dieses Monats bekannt gegeben. Wir werden dies im GrĂĽnderbereich des Forums mitteilen, also haltet bitte Ausschau danach.

Die Einzelheiten, wie mit Reparaturen, Software-Updates etc. umzugehen ist, werden ebenfalls in einem ausfĂĽhrlichen Briefing nur fĂĽr GrĂĽnder mitgeteilt. Der Zeitplan dafĂĽr wird festgelegt, sobald wir 100 Prozent zuversichtlich sind, dass wir mit der letzten DVT2-Testrunde vorankommen.

Ăśbersetzung mit DEEPL

1 Like

We are planning to film and share the camera tuning process at the lab in Finland.
Keep you posted.

2 Likes

Sounds promising, I am looking forward to enjoying it.

Nice that you found the time today to bring a little bit of activity to the forum. Thanks for that.

2 Likes

Great idea, thank you Achim!

1 Like

Have the parts in question arrived in the meantime?

Hello Achim,
Most parts arrived. The mainboard assembly (SMT) is not done yet.
Also, we are finalizing the antenna tuning now.
All other parts arrived/arriving this week.

5 Likes

Thank you, nice to read that it is going ahead.