Android Enterprise Recommended

Hello Firas,

Do you know if the Carbon will be Android Enterprise recommended?
In other words, will it be possible to enrol the device and deploy a work profile?
Is there any plan to develop specific API’s to manage the Carbon or will it be the default one?

Regards
Laurent

1 Like

Hello @Llau
Very good question.
We are preparing for testing for AER during March, hopefully, we will be EMM compliant by April.
As we got a lot of requests for EMM enrollment from companies in Europe.
However, AER is a just a recommendation by Google, which mean you are listed as “Recommneded”, Google said we need around 1-2 years of operating and B2B business with good support, so we can earn AER badge.
In principle, it’s possible, but we need to do further testing.

For now, it’s the default API. In the future, we will be developing API, that can further compatible with future generations.

May I know the background of your questions?
happy to support.
Best,

Thanks a lot for the info Firas.
MDM from VMware Airwatch, is one of the product for which I give daily technical support.
I was imagining a sustainable company searching for a device matching with their own philosophy, willing also to deploy a solution for securing and monitoring their company devices. I was just wondering if Carbon will be compatible with this type of device management…
Rgds

@Llau
I will be happy to discuss this further with you right after the launch.
I would live to know your feedback, if you have a chance to try to enroll the device.

We catch up about this next week.
Cheers,
Firas.

1 Like

@firascarbonizer, Sorry for the delay …

Of course, as soon as I receive the carbon, I will try to enroll it.

See (I read you) you next week

Regards
Laurent

1 Like

Very curious about your test!

Hello firas,

I managed to enroll the Carbon in WorkspaceOne (Vmware Airwatch)
The enrollment itself (as work device) went smoothly >> no issue

But i encountered some issue as soon as I wanted to:

• Push notifications

• Find the device (device should ring)

• Install a profile with restrictions

In fact, all the commands sent from the console to the device weren’t immediately active, only after a manual refresh (synchroniser le terminal) in the Intelligent Hub application itself. (sorry the printscreen in French)

This is quiet blocking.
I need to make further testing.

I let you know
Regards
Laurent

1 Like

Do you think this is related to some apps are not sending notification (social media, banking).
Background apps?

Hello Firas,

No no.
The issue was the communication method set on the Airwatch console, by default on Google’s FCM.
As soon as the communication method modified from FCM to AWCM and AWCM service stopped and restarted, everything ran smoothly.

I don’t know if it’s a normal behaviour that it doesn’t worked with Google’s FCM with Airwatch VMware WorkspaceONE?
For sure with Airwatch Cloud Messaging the issue disappeared > Not Carbon related :smiley: for AWCM
BUT
For Google FCM… I don’t know…best is to find an application using the Google’s FCM method to see if it also generates an comminucation issue.

Google’s FCM

Update: I tested “find my device” on Google and choose “Played Sound” to let the device ringing >> the command was immediately received

Than most probably, the issue comes from something between VMware and Google FCM.

See explanation below

1. Communication methods : Real-time communication between the console and device happens over either the AWCM (AirWatch Cloud Messaging) or Google’s FCM (Firebase Cloud Messaging) service. We recommend using AWCM for our deployments. Settings are found on the console under Settings > Devices & Users > Android > Hub setting. Note, when set to always running, Hub maintains a constant connection with the AWCM server outbound. In case of no activity or connectivity issue, AWCM can become disconnected. The retry interval value to make active connection to AWCM is two minutes by default in the HUB agent.

2. Hub is the management client on the device and is required to be installed in order to manage Android devices. Hub downloads the profiles and applications (pushed as Apps&Books) only from device service server. Products can be delivered from either Device Services server or Relay server, depending on whether or not a Relay Server is active at the OG the device is enrolled. If using relay server, only Application components and File/Action components are delivered by a Relay Server.

3. Profiles, applications and products are installed on the device using the native Android APIs. In addition to this, OEM specific capabilities can be set by leveraging App configuration (key-value pairs) on an “OEMconfig” app, published by their respective OEMs on the play store. For example, Samsung has published OEMconfig app called ‘Knox Service plugin’ in the play store. Zebra has published their OEMconfig app called ‘Zebra OEMConfig powered by MX’. This enables zero-day support from EMMs on any new capability offered by an OEM. As soon as OEM releases a new feature, we can add the respective app config value in our assignment page on the UEM console to configure the device.

Regards
Laurent

2 Likes

This is really enterprise for me :).

How did it go so far?
Did it work for you?
Happy to discuss further.

Cheers,

Lol, this is profi stuff!
I just like to ask the community only a simple question…
which kind of launcher did you already test on your Carbon 1?
I’m just using the Niagara one… But I am not totally happy with that…

Hello Stephan, I use Nova launcher…it does the job…

1 Like

Thank you Llau, I will try this one! :slight_smile:

Hi Stephan, I ‘m using the Microsoft Launcher

2 Likes

Thank you Uwe, I will have a look at this one:-)

I’m using Lean Launcher.

To use Lean Launcher and Gesture Navigation I have had to install a (separate) gesture navigation app along with issuing some adb commands that allow it to hide the “original” navigation bar. This is something I have had to do on many other devices too.

can you please share your experience?
Perhaps a screen recording to see before and after?

This was more or less the starting screen (The loading comments are because I disabled some Google apps and services)

As you can see, the ‘Search bar’ at the bottom are gone, the date and day is gone. As an additional benefit the adding of apps out of the Google Play store are no longer added to this or the other screens. I can do this now out of the app screen.

1 Like

I’m pleased to see that I am not the only person to use the “Yr” app for my weather. Either that or one is a very good clone of the other…

Here are my screenshots using the QuickStep app (original) and Lean launcher. On both screenshots I am using Gesture control (third party app as Lean Launcher is not compatible with the built in Android gestures) and have set this to hide the standard “three button” controls giving me more space on the screen. Lean launcher can have up to seven “columns” for apps, and seven positions for most used apps on the taskbar.

Original (which I never added any widgets to, or added any apps to as I couldn’t remove that Google search bar).

Lean Launcher.

I also prefer to have only my most used apps on the taskbar, with all other apps in the app drawer.

3 Likes

@MkStevo Yep, ‘Yr’ is great. Use it also on my iPhone. And the other good part is, that during my travels (in former times) it was really good in all cities and countries around the globe.

1 Like