January Production Update

So far… I’m very happy about the finale progress and job you’ve made the last weeks.
What are your plans for our delivery?

1 Like

Hi All

We are so close but frustratingly, despite our best efforts to put the Founder Editions into production we have been hit by a logistical setback that is out of our control.

The new mainboards have been stuck in customs between Hong Kong and mainland China since Thursday. The team has worked tirelessly to make contact and speed up the process and this morning we still had hoped to see them arrive in time.

The assembly time we had booked for yesterday and today has had to be rescheduled to Tue/Wed next week. We are doing all we can to speed this up where possible.

Logistically this is a very challenging time as all manufacturers aim to ship components ahead of the Chinese New Year next month. We had given ourselves a good lead time on this and all partners were confident in them.

This setback is incredibly hard to share. The distance between the two locations is frustratingly close (less than 50km). We are incredibly frustrated to have a device that is ready to be built and experience this delay now.

In more positive news, alongside this, the team continues to use and test their devices and are very impressed with the continued performance.

Speaking personally, I have migrated from an iPhone to use my Carbon and I’m so proud of the tech created and it’s made the move to Android feel worthwhile.

We will let you know as soon as the mainboards arrive.

4 Likes

It’s a great pity, but let‘s hope the best for next week again.

Sometimes there are hurdles on the home stretch, I am confident you will overcome them. Good luck, you have really deserved it.

Manchmal gibt es auf der Zielgeraden noch Hürden, ich bin zuversichtlich, ihr werdet sie meistern. Viel Glück, ihr habt es euch verdient.

2 Likes

Hey Carbon,

you are so committed to this. I´m very impressed about this. You can and will do it!

2 Likes

@jamie
And, are the parts arrived now, will you be able to start the production tomorrow?

2 Likes

I hope the parts now arrived. My Little daughter let my Smartphone falling down, so that now I have to use an old one

1 Like

Hi All

Hope you are keeping well.
We have mixed news.

The boards finally arrived today. The quality and assembly engineers are performing quality check and assembly process check (few devices) tomorrow ahead of assembly which has now been set for Friday.

We are waiting on images back from the factory. We will share content from the assembly line in the coming days.

@dani your new Carbon 1 MK II should be with you soon - dates to be confirmed later this week.

More updates tomorrow.

Thanks all

4 Likes

BECOME A CARBONIZER

For everyone obsessed about Carbon, there is more exciting news:
A selected few will soon become a Carbonizer and enjoy many lifetime benefits, such as early access to our products. You will own one of the first 100 Carbons and you will actively help us perfecting Carbon during the beta launch.

[SIGN UP FOR BETA LAUNCH]

*registrations open Monday 12.02.18

(Mail from Carbon, 2.2.´18)

Looks like you might just manage to stay under three years since announcement.
I don’t think that’s bad at all.

Sieht aus, als könntet Ihr es knapp schaffen unter drei Jahren seit Ankündigung zu bleiben.
Find ich jetzt gar nicht so schlecht.

2 Likes

Hi Jamie, that are great News :slight_smile: Gartulation to the Team.

1 Like

Great, the whole team should be happy, exciting and proud about the last steps.
Let’s get the Carbon I project now for real and for all consumers.
(I’m happy also about your news)

That would have been yesterday by now, so tell us, what’s up?

Das wäre inzwischen gestern gewesen, was ist los?

1 Like

Hello All,

We are still doing inspections for the quality of components of parts arrived from suppliers.
We asked some suppliers to send their FAE (Field Quality) engineers to our assembly line factory to do further inspection on-site with our engineers.
That’s been done today and still going-on tomorrow.

Our supplier suggested to further improve the adhesive in specific corners of the screen/body adhesive so that we can increase the bonding strength.
So, so a few days ago, we did the testing for improved adhesive and now it’s better.
You can see the new improved adhesive from today, 25m long, being produced again for Founder Edition and already arrived to our warehouse tonight (China time).
You can watch it here:

Assembly will continue on Monday and Tuesday. We will ship to Europe on a daily basis.

Regarding materials, all components in the warehouse now, last to arrive the mainboard as mentioned before.
You can see it from here:

Best,
Firas.
CEO.

4 Likes

Thanks for informing us & sharing this video. Good luck for the next work steps with the adhesive and mainboards. What are your expectations regarding the new lead time ?

1 Like

In other words, with a bit of luck, we’ll have it the first weekend in February?

1 Like

Hm, I guess it will take another 10-14 days until the delivery in Germany will start finally.

Considering the unpredictable situation with the pandemic and being busy with technical improvements happening although it would be great to have it until 26.02 hopefully, one year after the launch event.

1 Like

Hey Achim,
did you have heard any news about delivery to us Carbonizers?

1 Like

Unfortunately, no.
It’s also not that easy to get a picture, because the logistical process is not clear. China has a five-hour head start, which means that the Monday batch, if everything has worked out, will be through. Ideally on its way to, yes where, Berlin perhaps. A direct flight to Frankfurt takes about eleven hours. If it comes by ship, it will be Easter. In short, as long as we don’t read anything, everything is speculation.

Leider nein.
Auch ist es garnicht so leicht sich ein Bild zu machen, da der logistische Ablauf nicht klar ist. China hat fünf Stunden Vorsprung, d.h. die Montagscharge ist, wenn alles geklappt hat, durch. Im Idealfall auf dem Weg nach, ja wohin, Berlin vielleicht. Ein Direktflug nach Frankfurt dauert ca. elf Stunden. Wenn´s mit dem Schiff kommt wird´s Ostern. Kurzum solange wir nichts lesen, ist alles Spekulation.

1 Like

Oh, then Carbon I would be a very nice surprise for esstern holidays (… I hope not)